CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Sprinkles and Oprah

Today DH and I were celebrating the end of his first year as a teacher. We went out to lunch at Vincent's on Camelback, which was very good. And even though we had a little slice of peach tart with ice cream at the end of our lunch (complimentary which is all the more reason to eat at Vincent's), I suggested we stop at Sprinkles for cupcakes. I think Sprinkles opened maybe two weeks ago in Scottsdale. We hadn't even heard about it (apparently they've been featured on Oprah and Tyra because they're popular in Beverly Hills) but noticed that there were lines out the door at this place for days. Of course we were intrigued and had to find out what it was and give it a try. I got the carrot cupcake (shown above but I didn't take the picture. I'm no Brunsli so I just ate mine without thinking of taking a picture) and DH got a mocha cupcake. Well... mine was good. It was definitely tasty. The frosting was really sweet and had cinnamon in it and the cupcake was yummy without the frosting, but I love fresh carrot cake. I could see and taste the shredded carrots. Was it worth $3.25? Probably not. I might get one on a special occasion but I'm feeling a little sick to my stomach so I think it was a little too much sugar for me. DH's mocha cupcake on the other hand was not at all up my alley. It was coffee flavored and too chocolatey. He devoured it but agreed that it wasn't all that great. So I think neither of us will be standing in the 45 minute line at Sprinkles in the near future.

Kind of reminds me of my trip to Serendipity in New York. I was visiting a friend and she wanted to go for dessert because their frozen hot chocolate had been featured on Oprah. I guess if I watched Oprah I'd be more in the know about these things. So we went and put our names in. The wait was 2 or 3 hours. We finally get a table and I'm just at the beginning of a really bad cold. I just wanted a cup of tea but came to find that my tea would be under their per person minimum. So I'm forced to order this frozen hot chocolate. It was probably pretty tasty but I was so stuffed up that I really couldn't enjoy it. There's also a pizza place in Phoenix that Oprah went to on her great pizza tour. Again, long wait, overpriced, not the best pizza I've ever had. I guess I should just stop getting any food that Oprah loves.

5 comments:

Kandgoods said...

THE THING ABOUT OPINIONS IS THAT THEY ARE SUBJECTIVE- YOU KIND OF HAVE TO TRY FIRST BEFORE YOU MAKE UP YOUR MIND. DON'T EVER LISTEN TO OPRAH, I LEARNT THAT A WHILE BACK LOL (SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS, I HAD GOT HALFWAY THROUGH THE PARAGRAPH BEFORE I NOTICED. WAS TOO LATE TO TURN BACK HA HA)

brunsli said...

I had a similar experience at Pinkberry. I waited 15 minutes to find out that the hullabaloo was about chemically-tasting yogurt.

brunsli said...

Ah, but at least you and your husband have a cupcake story now!

Allecia said...

Kandgoods- you are so right. And it's probably partially that Oprah has money to spend so a cupcake for $3.25 isn't outrageous. But for me, it had better be the bet cupcake I've ever eaten.

Brunsli- You just burst my hopes for Pinkberry. I was just saying to a friend that maybe we'd be getting a Pinkberry since we have a Sprinkles and Pink Taco. I guess if it ever does show up in Scottsdale I'll know that the hype is just that.

Allecia said...

Thanks Sunsail! I'm glad someone finds this remotely interesting! A 5K is a good place to start. You have to start somewhere. Before you know it, you'll be looking forward to taking on longer distances.