CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Gotta Love Family

I came home late Monday night and after traveling all day with Pepe I was sore and tired. My mom met me in the airport and couldn't help but touch my hair. That wasn't particularly surprising considering that everytime I come home with newly done braids, relaxer, whatever-- she has to touch it. Nonetheless, she said it was cute.

I get home to my parents house and both of my sisters are there. I noticed that my older sister's hair was particularly straight. She had gone natural for 3 years so I was a little surprised she had gone back to a relaxer. Oh well. She immediately says to me, "I know you had talked about doing it for a long time but why did you do that to your hair? Your hair used to be so long. What are you going to do when you don't like it? Just cut it off?" I tell her that I didn't cut my hair, it's just curling up like nappy hair does-- it actually reaches my collar bone when I stretch it out but it clearly doesn't look that way regularly. So I ask her if she's seen pictures of mature sisterlocks and I tell her how they look so good and can't wait for my hair to get to that stage. In reference to how good they look, her husband says "That's a matter of personal preference." The nerve of some people! Although when I said that I'd rather have my locks than ever spend a day taking braids out and then another day wasted getting them put back in again, he agreed with the sensibility in that (and the cost!). I was a little surprised by how aggressive my sister was about not liking my hair. I'd talked about getting traditional locks for 3+ years so you'd think she would have been well prepared. In any case, it doesn't seem as though there will be any sisterlocks converts in my household any time soon. They might be singing a different tune in a year or so though.

8 comments:

Salt-n-Pepper Diva said...

My sister and brother-in-law saw my hair for the first time yesterday, I was loc'd right after Thanksgiving. They both said that they liked my hair and then my sister proceeded to play for me a special she taped on BET about women and going natural, I have forgotten the name.

I am the rebel of the family, and as my 76 yr old uncle put it yesterday, "You always like to shake things up"

Aly C Wing said...

Hey- I just realized that you found my blog! haha, It's more of a thing for me to look at, not as much for people to read. I guess it wasnt too smart of me to put it on the internet! It's just easy for me to keep up with it if its on the computer. I started it after I saw The Secret, like you said, it was featured on Oprah. I recommend the movie, it's a nice little inspirational film. Some people think its just propoganda, but I believe in it. Except for the part about the new job, I didn't get a new job, I was just trying to manifest it (it didn't work). But anyway, I am trying to write more in my blog, but I don't imagine it will be too interesting. Hope you had a nice holiday and happy new year! Hope to see you soon! Love you!

Salt-n-Pepper Diva said...

When I spoke to my sister via the phone she said "How's your nappy head?" I replied "Nappy" and she then said" Guess everythang is alright!"

Gotta love family!

Maryee said...

Girl don't even worry one minute about your family and your hair. As sure as the sun sets and the moon shines, they will be singing a different tune. Stay positive, and don't worry about debating and converting. Time will do all the talking. Wishing you well in your journey! You and your locks are just beautiful!!

au naturale said...

Hello, I read your comment about the guy with dreadlocks and I have to admit, i thought that too when I locked. I had traditional locks, but now I am transitioning to sisterlocks, mainly because they are small and my locks pulled on my edges a lot. Well, coporate America doesn't really like guys with long hair period. I know of a few guys who cut their hair to ascend in their company. Also, I think for guys, many people think of it as a political statement and they look so good. Perhaps they're jealous:)

Allecia said...

Au Naturale- Maybe it is jealousy!?! Who knows. But for now, I'm comfortable with my decision to lock my hair.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

Cherish Love said...

I had the same feeling when I did my third "big chop" and I came home to my father saying, " So you did it huh? You look like a boy again!" He said it lightheartedly of course, but it still grated on me nonetheless. We'll see what he says when my head is loc'd. Like you said, "Gotta love family!"