Being a little over a month into sisterlocks, I've probably run into just about everyone I know in Arizona by now. I hate the "Gasp, You cut your hair?!?!" And because I'm too lazy to explain, I usually just say yes, even though my hair hasn't been cut in about 3.5 years. Needless to say, I'm glad to be through that process... in Arizona anyway. I'll be heading back to CT for the holidays and I've done my best to brief freinds and family about my hair change to avoid the Gasp, etc. Of course, my family knew about my decision when I made my initial consultation. We're Jamaican (lived in Montego Bay until I was 5) and my cousin came home to Jamaica for a family reunion with baby locks one year (her hair is beautiful now by the way). There was lots of talk about what would Mama and Papa say about her hair as the associations with locks in Jamaica are not all good. Surprisingly, my parents weren't at all shocked and didn't say much about my decision, though I suppose the fact that I've been talking about getting locks of some sort for years now warmed them to it. DH didn't mention my hair change to his family. They have a gag gift swap party with the whole extended family so spending Christmas there should be interesting. There will be a few young babies, one of whom was just born in November, so I can only hope that the babies are more interesting than my hair. I hate being the object of attention!
Monday, December 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
You know that YOUR Loc's are going to be the topic of discussion for a day or two......so just get ready for it!
People are going to say " Gurl, what did she do to her head??" And look at you silly, or be very quite.
I will tell you that your hair looks beautiful, You have one of those heads that I want my locs to grow up and be! Everyone says that no two loc'd heads are the same, but I can hope.
Wear your Loc's proudly and even ask your or his relatives, do you like my dreads, I'm loving them.
To take the quizzical looks or shock off of my patients I bring it to the forefront and forget it! You will be fine, and the Talk Of The Town!
Congrats on your locks, you are surely going to enjoy them,I am in my 7th month and really enjoying them.
Compliments of the season to you.
Are you ready for the east coast cold? I just relocated from Sierra Vista, AZ - south of Tucson to D.C. and I'm really missing the AZ weather about now.
Post a Comment