Brunsli's post about race, or ethnicity if you prefer, and IQ got me to thinking about some things (if only I could figure out how to link to her post). I took a grad student seminar on prejudice and stereotyping a few years ago and it was a tough semester for me partially because I'm the only black person in my entire psychology department. That's approx. 150 graduate students across all of the psychology programs, 25 full time tenure track faculty and just me. I grew up in a town in CT that was 3% black and went to UConn so I've been used to it for a long time but this class was different.
I remember one article in which a professor was describing a method he used for improving students' exam grades. I believe he allowed students to see him if they did not perform well on exams and then he would talk them through a logical path of reasoning so that they would eventually increase their ability to think critically. I specifically recall the statement that this procedure largely benefited the black students in his course who were failing at an alarmingly high rate in the years before he started using this procedure. On the one hand, it's commendable that this professor wanted to do what he could to help the black students in his class. On the other hand, I have a problem with research that makes it seem as though "Blacks are just as smart, they just need a little extra help." Perhaps this is true for some blacks (and some whites and some hispanics and some asians) but I think it's a quick jump to "Blacks need extra help to compete on the same level."
I did a summer research program at Howard Univ. and all of the other girls in the program were from historically black colleges. I got into this debate once with one of the girls where she asked me how I knew that the reason I was doing well in college wasn't because I was getting special/ extra attention because of my race. That was an easy answer for me-- I never went to office hours, I had classes with 40-300 students, and in more than one class, I was the only student who had perfect scores on every homework and exam going into the final. But I see why people go to HBCUs. I have always been confident about my academic abilities but for some other students who aren't, this question might surface of "Am I getting by on my merit or am I getting by because this professor wants to see the black students do better?" When I finally finish my doctorate and go on the job market, I know this question will be in my head of "Was I hired because I deserve the job or am I an easy way to get a woman and a minority in one hire?" It's unfortunate that we're put in this position of constantly having to question our abilities.
Monday, December 10, 2007
Thoughts on race and IQ
Posted by Allecia at 11:42 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
allecia may i have your email address if u dont mind .mine is estew10@msn.com.
When I first saw and read this post I knew that I would have to be mentally relaxed to reply and to do so as appropriately as possible. I am having a cocktail and my bra is off, so let the chips fall where they may.
I am a product of a predominately white primary, high school and college education until post graduate school.
I received my Doctor of Dental Surgery (D.D.S.) from Howard University College of Dentistry, 1987. In dental school "WE" meaning the black students, called it "How-Hard University". Let me clarify, my graduating class had the largest number of white students in the dental school's history, I think there were 11 minorities and their feeling was that no one was going to ask where they went to dental school.
What was drilled into the majority students was, (no pun intended), by the instructors was that "Doctor, being black means that you have to be twice as good to get half of the acknowledgment from your white peers". I can tell you that for the majority of the students, the 76 Black students in my class, the Black instructors busted our asses constantly! From my perspective, the minority students were not treated as harshly and were allowed to get by.
I passed my dental board exams first go round. I am a very quiet person, professionally, until I have something to say. I would rather be thought stupid, that way people will leave me alone. Then came the Navy years.
I was a quota to fill, there was no secret about that,(1990), I had no problem with it and was treated as such for about the first 3 months until my abilities and training spoke for me. The Navy dentists treated me like a dumb N-word, and that was fine because they left me the hell alone. It wasn't until THEY figured out that I was no dummy that they began to respect my work, work ethic, judgment and abilities. Then they put me on committee's, made me head of important committee's, promoted me twice and let me participate in a coveted fellowship.
I am saying all of this to say, that no matter what year it is, how old you are or what your profession is, first and foremost you will always be judged by the color of your skin. In america you are and will be a female and Nigger, no doubt about it. A quota, double bingo!
No matter how many degrees you have, people will assume that you are stupid and uneducated, pushed along to fill a quota. When you get to that "quota" position, (and it is nothing to be ashamed of, go for yours and do not question yourself!) that is when you prove your education, clarity of judgment and abilities, they will GIVE you your respect due. My sister is an M.D., I am a D.D.S, and we have coached each other through the same shit different year routine.
Hey if you do find out how to link to posts please let me know! LOL
Post a Comment