CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Gotta Love Family Part 2

Back in December (I guess that was 10 months ago- where did the time go?), I predicted that my family would be loving my hair in a year. I got some not so enthusiastic comments from my sister and her husband about my decision to lock my hair. Well, when I went home to CT in June, she immediately had her hands in my hair and was telling me how a friend of hers has traditional locks but curls them in spirals and it looks good. Who'd have thought locks could be cute?!? I was unsuccessful in converting her to locks. She says she needs versatility and she'd end up cutting them off. My mom's hair had gotten longer than I'd seen it before from wearing braids for a long time and she had relaxed it. When I commented on the length she said something to the effect of, "It's long now but it'll start breaking in the next few weeks and then it'll be back to being short." It's strange the things we put up with. Braids to get some length, a relaxer to make it manageable, then back to braids when the relaxer destroys your hair.

I got a lot of other nice comments on my hair while I was home. My great aunt told me how much she liked my hair (my attempts to explain to her that I didn't have small twists weren't very successful) and my cousin and a friend asked if I had sisterlocks when I saw them at my sister's wedding. I also had a female security guard stop me while I was walking through JFK airport to tell me she liked my hair and to ask some questions. Getting positive support from others definitely helps. I'm really loving my hair.

4 comments:

Salt-n-Pepper Diva said...

It's funny how we have always gotten positive feedback from strangers, but family takes a little longer to come around.
Like you, my hair is at a length that I really enjoy now. It blows in the breeze, I can curl it and my curls look better the next day after sleeping on them. Your hair really looks great!

Tawanna said...

I 2nd what salt-n-pepper diva said, family can be so negative at times. Strangers offer more encouragement! For what it's worth, I like your hair. It's beautiful. Yes I know that braids, relaxer cycle all too well. Some of us just don't get that our natural hair will stay on our heads if we wear it natural. The chemicals do so much damage. We live believing so many myths that we never find out our true beauty. A lady in a restaurant made conversation about my son's mowhawk. She told him she had one at one time because it was a dare so I did it. She said it was just hair and it will grow back. Another relaxed hair lady says, "Oh we can't do that stuff! My hair won't grow back!" I wanted to respond but I felt it would have none no good. Why would she think her hair wouldn't grow back? I guess because of the relaxer breakage...

muslimahlocs said...

God-willing, they will come around. within my generation, over 50% of us are locked. and amongst our kids, only one is not natural. there is hope!

Allecia said...

SNP & Tawanna- Isn't it funny how family is the last to give you a compliment? But I suppose that comes in handy when you really do need someone to tell you that your outfit really doesn't work.

Muslimah- I bet you have quite the beautiful locked family.