CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I have locs!


For some reason I didn't think that people knew I had locs, especially since it's only been 5 months. However, I had 3 loc sightings last week. First, Regina, who I wrote about in my last post, asked who did my hair.


Then, I was out at Pussy Cat Lounge, a local bar/ club, with some friends on Friday and a young Black man came up to me, touched my hair, and then started talking to me about locs. The conversation ended with him telling me how he used to have locs (he had a license picture to prove it) and that he had to cut them off because he was doing business in Japan, and the Japanese were not comfortable with a Black man with locs. I was very concerned about his comments and what my future held (maybe that was the alcohol talking), but as DH pointed out later, the corporate world doesn't appreciate men with shoulder length hair. And who knows what the true circumstances were that led to him cutting his hair beyond what he told me in a noisy bar at 1 am.


So on to the third sighting-- DH and I went to Flagstaff on Sunday to go snowboarding. We were just on our way out and a guy stopped me to tell me that he liked my hair and asked how long it took to do. He asked if it was a Jamaican thing and rather than take the time to educate him (sounds like Sisterlock Adoration's post), we started talking about how I was born in Jamaica and that he was going there in a week. As DH and I left on our 2 hr drive back to Scottsdale, I bored him with talk of how I didn't realize people knew I had locs. I've been so focused on how spongy my hair still feels and how it isn't feeling hard at all yet. But I guess in the eyes of others, I'm already there.

7 comments:

Vixen said...

It is truly amazing that others notice things about us that we don't realize ourselves. I guess it's because we see ourselves in the mirror everyday and unless it's a drastic change we really don't notice.

Congratulations on being noticed!

Lakia said...

I have been getting spotted more and more too. I think people are realizing that I don't have small braids anymore. LOL! Your hair is very beautiful.

Salt-n-Pepper Diva said...

You hair looks wonderful!

With that being said, be prepared on your locks being noticed more often and at the oddest times. My odd time was in the grocery store at the fish counter. It is a good feeling and very refreshing when people ask you about your now locks.

Allecia said...

Thanks happy, lakia, and salt-n-pepper! It is good to get affirmation from others, especially when you forget to compliment yourself regularly.

Shavonne said...

Are they supposed to feel hard after they lock? I don't mind spongy but hard is not my idea of what to expect.

Allecia said...

Shavonne-- I wish I had an official answer to your question. I think that they should get a little harder though as they lock and get more weight to them.

KnottyAuthor said...

so are these med to large sls?