CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Taking Down Locks

There have been quite a few posts over the last few days on LIU about taking down locks and starting over. In the beginning, and even recently, I've had thoughts about starting over. My concerns have generally been about the size of my locks. I might be completely off in my appraisal of the size of my locks versus others but I've thought for quite some time now that my locks seem bigger than many others (especially compared to others at 5 months). I like the size of my locks now but considering that they may still swell to be considerably larger, I wouldn't be happy with that final size.

So starting over crosses my mind every now and then, but I think I've settled on seeing what happens over the next 7 months and splitting locks at that point if necessary. I'm also highly indecisive and pretty risk averse. I hate making big decisions, especially those that are potentially costly. The psychologist in me got to thinking-- are people who are able to take down their locks different than me in some way in their personality traits? Maybe they're less anxious or less likely to engage in counterfactual thinking (wondering about the what if's) or just generally more decisive in their lives. They're probably all of the above. And from what I've read, it sounds like some have had major issues, like having holes in their locks large enough to put their fingers through. For now, i'm keeping my locks the size they are and my hair the color it is. I'm too worried about the long term effects of dying on my hair to try it!

5 comments:

Naseema said...

I too have been reading over the several stories of SL takedowns and I can't lie it made me second guess getting mine installed. Then again I thought... everyone is different and not every experience is perfect. I love your locks and I think that they are beautiful. You have been an inspiration for me. Real talk.

Salt-n-Pepper Diva said...

I too have been reading the lock horror stories and taking a second look at my hair, loc size and partings. You know what, I think I am one of the lucky ones because I don't have any of the problems mentioned by other SL wearers.

I love how your hair looks and I think we may have the same lock size, your hair is longer than mine. I tried to count mine and I ended around 386, you know I lost count along the way!

I think your hair looks great and your loc size resembles mine.

That is my never to be humble and biased opinion, you know that I have loc envy when it comes to hair!

SeZ said...

I think that maybe separting them later if you are still unhappy would be better than paying for the progress from the beginning again. Then thinking of the cost factor alone.

Allecia said...

Naseema and S-N-P: Thanks for the compliments. I only have 329 locks so I'm certain that mine must be bigger than yours (S-N-P) at 386.

Sez: I agree. Even if it throws off the partings, I think that will be the best option for me.

SisterlocksMD said...

According to my consultant, your hair goes through a "puffy" phase before your locs get thinner, so I would wait until after the first year to determine if they are too thick and need to be split. If you separate locs too soon they may become too thin when they reach the mature phase and risk breakage.