CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Split Locks or My New Life with 329+ Locks

After 1 year and 4 months of splitting my locks, I finally started cutting them-- or I finally started letting my consultant cut them. I was apprehensive about cutting them because I was worried that they'd be so short that they'd stick out awkwardly. Although some of my new locks are rather short, they kind of blend in with the longer ones so it's not very noticeable, especially when my hair is curled. I'm really glad that I decided to split them. The size of my split locks is more what I was expecting when I decided to get sisterlocks. Unfortunately, it will be a few more years before the shorter of my split locks are at a length where I can cut all of my locks to be even. So I guess the moral of the story is to be explicit with your consultant about what you're expecting from day 1. But otherwise, I'm really happy with my locks so it's a minor bump in the road. The first picture shows my newly split locks with one that my consultant chose not to split. The second picture shows a lock that's being split but still hasn't been cut. My consultant will probably finish cutting my few remaining split locks at my next appointment. One of these days when I have a few moments, I'll do a new lock count.











10 comments:

Leah said...

Welcome back! I love your blog. Your locks look amazing.

Allecia said...

Thanks Leah! Hopefully I can do a better job of blogging more regularly in the coming months.

z said...

I have a few short locks myself that are half the length of their neighboring locks, so it'll be a while before they grow back out. They happen to be the ones that I picked out and re-locked. Looking good Allecia!

Unknown said...

Hey Allecia,

I love your hair!!! I too have sisterlocks! I have used several different methods to curl my hair. I really like your curled look. Do you use perm rods, pipe cleaners or regular rollers to curl your hair?

Allecia said...

@Dewdrop-- thanks for the encouragement!

@Nay-- Thanks! I use soft spike curlers with a little bit of lottabody to curl my hair. Although my curls really only last about 1 week. I used to also get good curls by doing bantu knots.

Anonymous said...

Hi I'm Eyedinity...
I have a blog just haven't signed in or blogged for awhile...life happens, right?
You have very beautiful locks and I wanted to to know how would one go about splitting locks that they want to be smaller? I hope this is not a personal question...just curious because I've thought about doing it myself. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi I'm Eyedinity...
I have a blog just haven't signed in or blogged for awhile...life happens, right?
You have very beautiful locks and I wanted to to know how would one go about splitting locks that they want to be smaller? I hope this is not a personal question...just curious because I've thought about doing it myself. Thanks.

Allecia said...

Eyedinity-- Unfortunately, my consultant does all the work so I really can't in good faith tell you how to split your locks. From my perspective, it seems like she just pulls the hair directly through the center of the new growth in a north to south direction and does this over and over again until a Y forms in the new growth. Right now, when she tightens my split locks, she pulls the lock through the center (which is now a large Y) over and over again until the lock curls onto it self. I think that's all she's doing but some of the diy'ers might have better advice for you. Good luck and thanks for visiting my blog!

Kandgoods said...

Wow, this is a bold move, glad it's going ok for you thus far! I always thought your locks were perfect, but I'm certain once you put a pic up of the new look (hint hint) then I'll fall in love with it aswell!!

z said...

How do you split your locks?