Lauressa asked: I was wondering if you ever came to terms with the size and number of your locks. And a very long time ago, Cheleski68 asked: so are these med to large sls?
Since the day of my installation, I always thought that my locs could have been much smaller. I have 329 and given the size of my head/ thickness of my hair, this always baffled me. If I'd been at 370, I probably would have thought nothing of it but 329 seemed a little low. My consultant is also no longer registered with sisterlocks. She is certified though and has been doing sisterlocks for 8 years. So when I went for my consultation and installation, I wasn't shown the sizing chart, which is partially how I think I ended up with a size I wasn't happy with. I think my consultant does a great job but I should have been more proactive. I thought about bringing a picture of Blaqkofi with me because I love her lock size but figured she'd have size examples when I got there. This is why we should never assume things.
Fast forward to June-- I decided that I would just have my locs split. All of them! And my consultant started splitting all of them, but after a lot of thought, I decided that 600+ locs was not the way to go either. And my locs around my edges were getting dangerously thin. I typically get retightenings every 9 weeks, and they may have needed more frequent attention to keep them healthy. So now all of my locs around the edges and near the back have been recombined. I don't know how many locs I'll end up with when they are cut, but I'll count again then.
Fast forward to Thanksgiving day-- I lost my first loc!! I was looking at my hair and noticed one lock that seemed kind of long and I went to tuck it in and realized it wasn't attached to my head anymore. I've had braids that were too small fall out before but this kind of shocked me. The loc had gotten particularly thin when it was being split and just couldn't be salvaged. I even took a picture a few weeks ago of how thin it had become, and now I have a picture of my poor loc out on its own.


10 comments:
sorry for your loss. your locks look great. i had no say @ the sizes of my locks either. i trusted my consultant and am pleased with her judgement. i have @ 550 micro to small sized locks. but back then sizing charts were just being invented.
Hi Allecia! Sometimes bigger is better. I swear that some of my locks hang on 3 strands of hair. Besides not getting caught up on size is important, health is far more important. Just look at Leighann's Sisterlocks !
She only has about 300 or so locks but look at how healthy her hair is!
With Sisterlocks, number of locks is just a number because it doesn't take into account density, size of the cuticle, or hair texture.
Also, you or your consultant can attach your lock again if you so desire.
I think maybe the bigger sl's are best for you. I have about 500+ locs, but my hair is fine with a loose curl pattern. Personally I think your locs are beautiful just the way they are.. We all have loc size envy lol because the amount you have is perfect.
I too left sizing to my friend who installed my locs(she's a trainee with several years experience). I admit I was a little disappointed when I counted and fell short of the 'prescribed' 400 locs. But I'm happy with them now since I intend to DIY soon and 380 is a lot of locs to retighten myself. I've also realised I prefer each loc to have a bit more substance - thin anorexic looking locs bother me a bit.
Hi Allecia. I was also worried about my locks and the number that I have. I counted mine and found you and I have about the same amount. With the thickness of my hair, I just knew I would have far more. I often visit your page to see your progress. If you want a clearer look as to how your locs may look, take a look at my sister's page happi2bnappi. She has the same amount of locs. I counted her locs a few months ago. She might have 340 or so. She has had her locs for almost 4 years and I think they are beatuiful. Your locs are beautiful.
muslimah-- 550 is a lot of locs, especially with the length you have. I'm glad I decided not to go with 600.
Sophia- You are always the voice of serenity and reason. I'm trying to not pay attention to the number.
Noneofyour-- I think you're right. My consultant mentioned that hair that is more tightly curled needs slightly larger locs than loosely curled hair.
Anthia-- Sounds like I'm not alone in the number disappoint! But this is a journey afterall and we each come to love what we have.
Rchgirl-- You and your sister have beautiful locks. Thanks for your support. There are definitely days when I need it!
I thought I would have more SLs myself but I don't really feel that mine are too big except for in the back because I am going through the swelling phase. I am confident that as they mature they will begin to condense some. I never actually counted them all but I know I have more than 300 but less than 400.
Wow, I can't believe that you split all your locks! I hope that you won't have anymore locks break on you.
Hey Allecia. Do you like your locks a little more now that they are split. I have stalked your page for a wow now, and always admire your beautiful set of locks. I too have sisterlock envy. The most important thing is you being happy!
Hi Allecia!
Wow, I used to have those same concerns, but I KNEW that my locks were entirely too big and, as I wrote in my blog, I took mine down and started over, but I had only 270 locks...I KNEW KNEW KNEW that there was something wrong with that picture! I now have 480 and I think that amount is perfect for me. It does make for a long self-retightening, but I am happy with the look. Since I am now a Sisterlocks Trainee, I can say that your lock size is determined by the density of your hair and the overall lock amount that you end up with is a combination of the density of your hair and the size of your head..the 329 or so locks that you have may be perfect for your hair because your locks still look nice and full and BEAUTIFUL!
God Bless and thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!
Post a Comment