CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A word to the wise about choosing your blog name

But first, I am so overdue for a post. My hair is growing. I had a little coloring disaster. My locs are going home to Jamaica in 1 week. So I have much to blog about. I just need to find the time to do it.

I think Maryee has blogged about being careful about the information you put in your blog and on the internet in general, and I was, well, not so careful. My blog title includes my real name, which was my first mistake. My second mistake was including my location in my blogger profile. The issue wasn't huge but I realized sometime in the fall that if someone googled my first name and the state I live in, or even the city I live in, my blog was the first thing to come up. It became an issue because I'm planning on finishing my doctoral program this year and have applied for a few jobs. Now, as much as I love my hair, potential employers may not be so impressed by a blog that is all about my hair. I remember that I once commented to a friend that she didn't tell me she'd cut her hair and she said "Well I didn't see the need to start a blog about it." So, clearly, the hair thing is not shared by members of other ethnicities.

My solution was to not allow search engines to search for my blog and it worked. And I may have a job offer back in New England, which I'm very excited about, but more on that if and when I get the official offer.

6 comments:

Naturally Sophia said...

Congratulations woman who shall remain nameless (LOL). I know many infamous bloggers that are professionally employed. Your name's spelling is unique so maybe that is why you were able to find yourself in SER pages. When I type in my name and city a million other things pop up. But when I include my last name, my facebook profile comes up (hmm).

Allecia said...

I think it's the uniqueness of the spelling that did it. And considering that I attend a state school, I thought that there was a slight possibility that someone might google my first name and state. I think Sophia is common enough that you're safe!

z said...

It's best to not include your name and city in your profile, unless you don't really care. There are ways to protect your account on social networking sites from public view and search engine listings.

Maryee said...

Yes, it's important to be careful. Since I am an aspiring writer among other things, I "want" to be found. I'm usually pretty careful or shall I say conscious of what I blog about or post in my many blogs, website, etc., but occasionally I find that a blog post or two needs to be "drafted" because it "seemed" right to blog about it at that time. Thanks for sharing and I hope all goes well with your educational and job pursuits.

Maryee

Anonymous said...

Hey - I was just kidding when I said that! (sorry I'm just reading your blog updates now..hehe) love you. cw

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.