CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Lake Compounce Half Marathon



Apparently there's no way to get this picture to load but if you click on it, there's a picture of DH and I crossing the finish line at the Lake Compounce half marathon on June 23. I almost didn't want to do the race because I'd gone out with friends in Boston on the 21st and was feeling less than great on the 22nd. But I decided to drink lots of water and run the race anyway. We set the alarm for 5:30 but... the alarm didn't go off (sounds like a Seinfeld episode). My father has this far too high-tech alarm clock that we used that has the options M-F, Sa/Sun, and Daily. Apparently it was set to M-F. I happened to wake up at 6:23 (the race started at 7). We were out of the house by 6:45 but still had to register when we got there. Somehow we made it to the starting line at 7 am. The race actually went really well for me but DH was a whole other story. He looked awful and kept complaining about his shoulder hurting. I kept trying to push him to pick up the pace but he was not so appreciative. He later told me he was having trouble catching his breath and admitted that he'd only drank a cup of coffee the day before. Who drinks only a cup of coffee knowing they're running 13 miles the next morning?!? Somehow we had a personal best. 1 hour and 59 minutes. That was a full 10 minutes faster than we'd run our previous two half marathons. That got me to thinking about how much better we could have done if he had been feeling well. Oh well. We took the rest of the summer off so I guess it'll be another 12 weeks of training before I get to see how much better we can do.

8 comments:

z said...

Wow, you both ran under 2 hours, congrats! Two years ago I ran 2:15 and still had plenty of energy left so that tells me that I can run even faster in my next race coming up in November. I need to research what the best 1/2 marathon time is but for the most part, my goal is to run under 2 hours.

I usually eat a carbo load dinner of just pasta the night before my races, do you? Just a tip to your DH, he might want to avoid any caffeine before race day.

Anonymous said...

Wow, awesome!! before i read your post, i thought to myself, wow, she looks as fresh as a cucumber, but he looks like he's hurting...now we know why! :)

3girlsmomma said...

Congrats to you and your DH (particularly given his injury/handicap--i.e., shoulder & caffeine intake)!! Great photo too!

At my blog you'd asked about my updo hair holder...it probably was an elastic of some kind (I forget I actually had just gotten out of the shower and had intended to go to bed, but then had to check one thing online first...hence the post.) So, I don't really recall what I used THAT time. Tools I use include the African Butterfly comb, octopus clip, a personalized silicone promo wristbands or an elastic. [Sorry I had to answer your question here... You may wish to enable your email for reply to responses.]

Naturally Sophia said...

Congrats on your personal best time! I love how radiant your skin looks.

Allecia said...

Dewdrop-- I've heard mixed things about carbo loading but I do it anyway. Another friend who runs told me that it supposedly isn't at all helpful unless you eat that way for say the full week before the race. I can't eat pasta for that many days but I do think it has to be better than eating a salad the night before.

Sunsail- He was hurting! And it shows in that picture.

3girlsmomma-- so many things I need to figure out about blogspot. I just changed my settings so I receive updates about posts so I'll have to enable email response too.

Sophia- Thanks. I'm guessing it's just sweat/ humidity or but I'm glad you interpreted it as radiant and not in need of a towel!

muslimahlocs said...

that's a really great picture of you. caffeine before a race? that is hillarious.

Vixen said...

Just catching up on my blog reading...congratulations on finishing your race and especially achievieng a PB!!

Allecia said...

muslimah-- Sometimes I don't know if he has a brain in there.