CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Revelations

One thing I learned while "researching" sisterlocks (aka looking at every blog possible) was that everyone has hair problems. I see women with the kind of hair that I always thought if only my hair looked like that I'd love it. I've always been envious of women with naturally loose curls that just hang and have lots of weight and bounce. My hair would just stick out whichever way it wanted to and even when it was relaxed it had no weight to it whatsoever. And yet I see these women that I was so envious of getting sisterlocks. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.
I am so glad that I began this journey. Yes it's just hair but it means so much. I'm learning to be comfortable with myself and to only worry about how I feel about myself and not how others perceive me or think I should look. I used to take my braids out and think that I looked like a completely different person without all the hair and color. Now I look at myself and see the same person that I saw before I took the braids out so I guess that something is changing for the better. I've thought about going to see a counselor just to talk about life and dealing with problems but never did it. I didn't need a counselor, I just needed to learn to love myself and adjusting to my hair with sisterlocks is helping me to do that.

3 comments:

brunsli said...

This is an excellent post.

I know just how you feel. When I researched, there was only one blog, Leighann's. I kept waiting for my hair to look like hers.

Nope, we all look like ourselves, and I am amazingly less neurotic now that I have made friends with my hair.

Enough about me -- your new SLs look great! Congrats on your decision.

CarmenNC said...

I have lock envy for anyone who is able to curl their locks. And for anyone who's locks are tight and pretty much all look the same.

Salt-n-Pepper Diva said...

I know how you feel. I went though a "self image" transformation once I had my locs installed and was forced to deal with "my hair" as it is.

As I mentioned before, I wanted my loc's to look like yours, but was to anxious to have them installed to wait another 6 or so months. So I have what I have, sport headbands and earrings and am loving them ( my baby locs) so far!